Saturday, 17 January 2009

News Round - Old news - Scopes Monkey Trial

A fascinating account of the famous Monkey Trial that evolution lost;

50 Years Ago: A Witness at the Scopes Trial
Scopes expressed bewilderment that the state should supply him with a textbook that presented the theory of evolution, yet make him a lawbreaker if he taught the theory. Rappelyea agreed that it was a crazy law and clearly unconstitutional. Then suddenly he asked: "Why don't I have you arrested for teaching evolution from that text and bring the whole thing to an end?" Scopes replied: "Fair enough."

2 comments:

  1. You got a really useful blog I have been here reading for about half an hour. I am a newbie and your post is valuable for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For reasons uknown only half of the submit is being displayed, could it be my browser or the website?

    ReplyDelete