Monday, 10 January 2011

Creationism in The Church of England Newspaper

Creationism in The Church of England Newspaper from here;


At this point I had better declare an interest. I am myself an Evolution Sceptic of the Intelligent Design variety. I learned the standard scientific orthodoxy at school and swallowed it whole. When I became a Christian, I was faced of course, as we all are, with the discrepancies between this and the Bible version of events. I lived for years with an uncomfortable compromise between the two: ‘Evolution is the glove concealing the hand of God at work fashioning Man,’ I used to say. But then in 1987 I read a book by Michael Denton called Evolution: a Theory in Crisis. And my eyes were opened.
I have gone on reading ever since and the more I read the less I believe in Evolution or in the whole scientific Standard Model. For me, as a Christian, it was not too hard to find an alternative model: there it was in the book of Genesis. Others come to the same place but from the other end; I have no quarrel with them, and nor, I hope, do they with me.
We all have a quarrel with the arrogant and abrasive scientific certainties of the world in which we live. The trouble with the dominant scientific orthodoxy is that it cannot or will not accept the mystery or the mysteries by which we are all surrounded. Where does the universe come from? How did life originate? How exactly did evolution cross the immense gaps between the species? We are no nearer to the answers to these questions, despite billions of man-hours and billions of pounds spent searching for them, than we were 150 years ago, when Darwin published The Origin of The Species. Nor, I believe, are we ever going to be able answer them in scientific terms.
. . .

The fact is that the scientific evidence that we have is full of holes, or mysteries. At one time people believed in the God of the Gaps and then retreated from that position because the gaps seemed to be getting smaller and smaller and threatened to close up altogether. But that is not the case today: the gaps are getting bigger and bigger; the chances of the world that we live in happening by accident are vanishingly small. The chances of a strand of DNA assembling itself by accident are infinitesimal, too small to be worth considering. The world is an essentially mysterious place. Science has not got it all sorted out, whatever Stephen Hawking says: science has only deepened the mysteries. In the face of the mysteries of life there are only two responses, a shrug of the shoulders, or faith in God.
By way of contrast have a look at the official Church of England web site on Darwin.

No comments:

Post a Comment