Saturday, 29 January 2011

Creationist visit to the Natural History Museum

A creationist visits the Natural History Museum - food for thought;

Last Sunday, I had the great pleasure of spending the day with a friend at the Natural History Museum.  Now, this friend also happens to be a Creationist and the report of our 'date' was met with much mirth on Twitter as Jade is quite open about her beliefs and questions us often about the veracity of the theory of evolution. 
. . .
I was also lucky enough to be able to ask my own questions and it eventually all boiled down to me asking; 'Do you really believe, after seeing everything we have seen today, that the Earth is only 6000-10000 years old and that we were all created as we are now?'.  The answer was not the one I had been expecting and I would hazard that my skeptical/scientific friends may also have been surprised because Jade anwered;  'Do you not understand that if we (Creationists) accept the theory of evolution to be the truth, we must abandon everything we hold to be true?'.  I asked for clarification and was shocked to be told that Jade had not been introduced to the theory of evolution until she was 14yrs old.  She also reported that in her church, the pastor continuously preaches that to accept evolution as truth means to abandon everything in the Bible, abandon all of her beliefs. 
. . .
I think there is an important distinction to make here; I am not saying we treat vocal proponents of ID or creationism with any less of the vigour we already show, as institutions like the Noah's Ark Farm and the Centre for Intelligent Design are not merely believers but are trying to assert their viewpoint by removing access to the evidence or by obfuscating the established curriculum.  But to dismiss Creationists as fools for not seeing the obvious truth makes us equally as guilty of a selective ignorance.
My emphasis.

1 comment:

  1. After a brief Twitter exchange with James Thomas about his blogpost, I posted my own response.

    ReplyDelete